Avoiding injuries during the summer months may seem easier said than done. In order to prevent a visit to your local Houston medical clinic, it is best to take precautions that can lower the chances for summertime injuries. Supervision plays a major role in the injury-prevention process. For example, studies show that there are more than 200,000 swimming-related injuries each year in the United States. With proper supervision, both children and adults may not be as susceptible to such injuries.
It is important to remember that wet grass, cement and even wooden decks can cause serious injuries. Knowing how to stay safe in and around the pool will help keep you and your family safe this summer. Here are a few simple precautions that can be taken:
• Enforce walking slowly around pool areas to avoid slipping or falling near the pool.
• Give children your undivided attention in and around any size pool.
• Enforce a no-diving rule in shallow water.
• Discourage rough-housing of any kind near swimming pools and diving boards.
• Remove pools toys and other pool accessories from the edge of the pool to avoid accidents.
When proper supervision is provided, the chance for summertime injuries is minimized. Accidents can still occur, however, it is best to implement rules and guidelines to make summertime fun more fun! In the event that fun results in minor injuries, Spring Medical Associates is here as your Houston medical clinic. Seek medical attention from our professional staff when you or your loved ones need it the most.